A web page that points a browser to a different page after 2 seconds If your browser doesn't automatically go there within a few seconds, you may want to go to the destination manually.

Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Suture

Have you ever been watching a movie/reading a book/listening to music and the content completely absorbs you so much that you don't realize time has passed and you forget the room around you? For me, this is a sign of a good movie/book/music. Film theorist Daniel Dayan created the idea of suture, where the audience is pulled and 'stitched in' to the story or experience. I would argue that this happens in areas aside from film, such as music. This weekend I had the opportunity to hear one of my good friends perform a concert at a local venue. We go listen to him play somewhat regularly and I always enjoy the chance to hear other experience and find more music that I like. There have been multiple occasions when I am watching the concert and find myself completely absorbed in the music, the rest of the world doesn't exist and I am just in awe of what is happening in front of me. I love it!

When have you found yourself sutured into the media you are experiencing? Do you like giving that much control to another person?

2 comments:

  1. I get this when I read a REALLY good book and can't put it down. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting idea. I love suture being applied to more than just film media. Really, it can be applied to any medium available. In theatre they call it "suspension of disbelief", but really it's what Dayan's suture theory was based on.

    ReplyDelete